It’s no secret that so many of us love halloumi.
The ingredient is a semi-firm cheese from Cyprus and is a favorite in Greek cooking.
This cheese is perfect for grilling as it doesn’t melt and is a lovely addition to dishes, especially in your BBQs this summer.
Here are some great recipes to try.
3-Minute Fried Halloumi Cheese Meze
This recipe from The Spruce Eats will only take five minutes from start to finish.
- 1 (8-ounce) package halloumi cheese drained and cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Oregano or mint leaves
- 4 to 5 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- Balsamic vinaigrette
1. Heat a nonstick frying pan over high heat.
2. Dry the halloumi cheese slices by blotting them with a paper towel. Place the slices on a plate and brush both sides lightly with the olive oil to coat each thoroughly.
3. Sear the cheese in the hot pan until each slice develops a deep brown crust, about 1 minute on the first side and 1 to 2 minutes on the other.
4. Place the fried cheese on a plate and garnish with the pepper, herbs, tomatoes, and vinaigrette.
Roasted Halloumi Fajitas
This recipe from Happy Veggie Kitchen will take under 30 minutes.
In this recipe, halloumi is seasoned and roasted in the oven with veggies to make easy vegetarian sheet pan fajitas.
It makes 2 to 4 portions.
- 250g halloumi cheese, sliced into strips
- 3 peppers, sliced
- One white onion, sliced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 8 flour tortillas
- Toppings of your choice: avocado, sour cream / yogurt, salsa
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210C and slice the halloumi, onion and peppers.
2. Prepare the fajita seasoning by mixing everything together in a small bowl.
3. Place the halloumi, onion and peppers on a baking sheet brushed with oil.
4. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over them.
5. Use a spatula to mix everything together, and spray or drizzle with more oil on the top.
6. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the halloumi is cooked to your liking.
Crispy Halloumi Burgers
This recipe from Scrummy Lane is a quick 15 minute recipe.
- Brioche burger buns
- Halloumi cheese
- Oil (for shallow frying)
- Green salad leaves
- Sweet chilli sauce
1. Coat them in flour. No need for egg, flour, breadcrumbs.
2. Just use about half an inch of oil in a small saucepan and shallow fry in batches for a few minutes.
3. When the cheese is a deep golden colour, a bit like slightly over-cooked fries, the burgers are nice and crispy and ready to take out of the pan.
4. Put them into a brioche burger bun, add cucumber and carrot and sweet chilli mayonnaise.
Halloumi, Avocado and Lime Salad
This salad from The Happy Foodie is the perfect light lunch or dinner to eat in the hot weather this summer.
The following ingredients serve four.
- 100g halloumi
- 100g greens
- 25g beetroot shoots
- 2 tablespoons of mixed seeds
- 1 avocado
For the dressing
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
1. Slice the halloumi into thin strips and Add it to a pan on a medium/ high heat and let it cook for a few minutes on each side until speckled golden.
2. Plate your greens and sprouts.
3. When the halloumi is done, set it aside and add the seeds to the pan. Let them cook for a few minutes until toasted and plump.
4. Cut your avocado in half and remove the pit and skin. Slice the avocado flesh and add it to the greens with the halloumi.
5. Combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk well.
6. Drizzle the dressing over everything and sprinkle the salad with the toasted seeds.
Halloumi, Tomato and Basil Pasta Bake
This recipe from Sparkles In The Everyday is great for family dinners and pasta lovers.
- 2 fresh tomatoes- diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion-finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic -you can use fresh garlic
- 250g Halloumi cheese
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 400g canned tomatoes
- Fresh Oregano leaves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 500g penne, cooked
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and cook the pasta.
2. In a large saucepan, add olive oil, garlic and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until just softened. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook it till they soften and then add a can of tomatoes.
3. Add oregano, basil and cracked pepper and bring to the boil.
4. While the sauce is simmering, cut the Halloumi into lengths, add some olive oil to a frypan and cook Halloumi on both sides till golden brown, (about 1-2 minutes on each side). Cut into cubes and add to the sauce.
5. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir through so all the pasta is covered.
Are you a lover of Style, Beauty or Interiors? Maybe you want the latest tips on keeping fit, eating right, organising your home and staying well, not to mention all the latest showbiz goss and the craic around town then follow Belfast Live’s brand new lifestyle page Be.
You can find us on Facebook ,Twitter and Instagram.
6. Layer 1/2 the pasta mixture into an oven proof dish, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the basil, then add the remaining pasta mixture.
7. Top with more Parmesan cheese and basil and bake in a moderate oven for 20 mins or until the top starts to go golden brown.